WHO ARE YAHOO BOYS?
According to Nigerian law, yahoo boys are people who carry out 419 fraud on the internet. This number refers to the article of the Nigerian Criminal Code, which directly deals with fraud. It is also a kind of a swindle in which the lawyer usually proposes plenty of money for a smaller up-front deal.
Internet fraud became widely accessible simultaneously in Nigeria and Ghana in early 2000. This act has quickly become a real trend amongst young people. Yahoo boys have become surprisingly respected people.
Therefore, Internet fraud has rapidly allowed many young Nigerians to buy expensive cars, houses, jewelry, etc. Now it has become the only means of livelihood for thousands of youth.
Experts in Internet security also call all those people who commit various shady deals with the help of Internet, Yahoo Boys. Nevertheless, for many years 419 schemes have been effectively duping many foreigners.
According to police statistics, thousands of undergraduates in universities of our country dabble in the Web fraud. A rich yahoo boy is an example or role-model for some youths because of the kind of lifestyle they live.
WHAT ARE VARIOUS FORMATS OF YAHOO BOYS?
Being afraid of unemployment, many young Nigerians consider Internet fraud as an exit from unemployment in such a country like Nigeria. Yahoo-boys have in mind only rapid monetary rewards.
1) Yahoo boys have a computer and a stable Internet connection.
2) Their most used trick “Web freestyle” is what almost all yahoo boys started with. 99% of yahoo boys started their careers from this fraud.
3) A yahoo boy learns how to send fake messages on social networks. It is a little risk field of a yahoo boy specialization, which generates money.
4) Yahoo boys have no morals. They usually stop at nothing to deceive people and pocket their money.
5) Yahoo boys professionally master another deception technique, which is called phishing. This method allows acquiring any person`s private data (passwords, usernames, and credit card data).
N/B: This post is in no way encouraging yahoo-yahoo.
6) Many yahoo boys in Nigeria have been using a so-called apartment trick for years to defraud plenty of foreigners. The trick is also very simple but lucrative one. A yahoo boy pretends to be a realtor. She or he places advertisements of luxurious apartments for lease on the Web. They upload many photos of high-class apartments obtainable for rent. As a result, their victims make payments to a particular account. Then “realtors” suddenly disappear.
7) Yahoo boys master the ATM fraud technique. Con artists usually walk around ATM spots. Their clients are various vulnerable users – aged people, pregnant women, illiterate people, etc. When a yahoo boy finds his victim, he usually changes credit cards to deceive people. – The general public should be careful about this.
8) Yahoo boys usually work on weekends, because banks are closed. Thus, until Monday morning victims will be unable to stop any illegal transactions performed by yahoo boys. So when you see that guy always with his PC, be weary of him, But don’t Generalize and call anyone you see with a laptop a yahoo boy because Nowadays Most young people in Nigeria have embraced making legitimate money online..
9) Successful yahoo boys in Nigeria most times find allies in banking staff. These people are young and crucially need money. They usually help yahoo boys to commit frauds.
10) Yahoo boys most times forget about any opportunity to find a legal job. All their strength is directed to finding new schemes of taking money from people via the Internet..
Previously, public cyber cafes in Nigeria were the main places where yahoo boys carried out their fraudulent internet activities. After regular police raids, yahoo boys just moved to other locations. They have already found new ways of making money. They visit schools and universities in the daytime and carry out frauds at nights.
No wonder so many young people are interested in becoming yahoo boys these days. The numerous news about wealthy life motivates the mass involvement of the adolescents in different cyber-crimes. In this way, a considerable part of Nigerian society celebrates prosperity without questioning where the money comes from.
PS: This post is not intended to promote Yahoo-Yahoo, it is to identify the tricks they use so the public become aware.